Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year!

Had a quiet new year's eve with my husband and our dog. What a change from years past! I must say I don't miss all the partying and excess, whew, some of it was fun, but been there, done that. By God's grace I've survived to say that!

Before Christmas was a bit stressful but very nice once the family gathering occured. All my immediate family (sis, Mum and Dad) live here, and also in attendance was my sister in law (her husband is serving in Iraq, soon to be home in February) and my Godmum, both of whom have had a rough year. My sis in law was diagnosed with skin cancer in its beginning stages last December, and she had surgery in January. Considering it was on her face, and the size of incision, it has healed beautifully, and she is well. (Wear sunscreen, everybody!) Godmum was diagnosed with breast cancer at the beginning of '05, again in an early stage, and surgery proved to have been successful. She is in advancing years, and had a nasty fall a few months ago, but she is as spirted and independent as ever.

My sister gave me the Tommy/Quadrophenia live DVD for Christmas and I watched it all over the past couple of days. Christmas and the Who have always gone together for me. As a teenager I would always ask for anything I didn't buy or couldn't afford to purchase during the year, so I always got a lot of music. I got "The Who Sell Out" in '75, and even now, when I hear it, I think of Christmas and the first time I heard it. I was floored most especially by "Sunrise" and "Rael". Still am. I also got Pete's "Who Came First" LP. One Christmas (maybe the following year) I got most of John Entwistle's solo albums, and my sister and I would nearly fall over from laughing at the lyrics. ("Peg leg Peggy, she really knows how to dance....she sounds just like a sewing machine....")

Anyway, watching the DVD, you woulda thought I was 15 again, I was dancing about all over the house, singing at the top of me lungs, admiring Roger's voice (and muscles!), Pete's gorgeous eyes, guitar playing, Simon's incredible voice on "Dirty Jobs" and his guitar work (my only complaint: not enough camera shots of him). John's seemingly effortless approach to kicking my butt with his bass...Zak's brilliant drumming...etc! I was going from being attentive, thoughtful, musically appreciative, to mental Who fan and back again. As well as flashing back to what an impact the music made on me as a teen, particularly Quadrophenia. "This is EXACTLY how I feel!" And feeling like I must have been the only girl in my school (or the world, for that matter) who felt like that. It was interesting and I was a bit surprised to realise that although the album had described my state to a tee for many years, I didn't feel the same way now as I did then. It didn't describe me now. And it was different, but that's okay. Not a bad thing! I am not the same person now, but I still cherish and love the music and how it got me through many a rough spot, consoling me, validating my teenage angst and insecurities. ("But I'm One!")

Now I'm a boring, drug free, employed, happily married old fart with a hip replacement. !!! Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home